The Brooklyn Brownstone school is focused on providing a strong educational foundation and preparing our students to achieve academic and social excellence. We are committed to curriculum that has a proven track record of ensuring a strong academic base on which students can build higher order thinking skills that will help make them lifelong learners. In addition, we work everyday to instill the Brooklyn Brownstone School Core Values: Curiosity, Commitment, and Community.
Our instructional curriculum includes: Everyday Math, Harcourt Science, Good Habits for Great Readers, and Teachers College Writing - all proven models for educational success. We also integrate the Heartwood Character Curriculum (K-5), which emphasizes Courage, Loyalty, Justice, Respect, Hope, Honesty and Love.
The Brooklyn Brownstone School will provide students with:
· Music and Visual Arts instruction daily
· Opportunities for their families to be partners in their education
· Faculty and staff that believe all children deserve an excellent well-rounded education
· Criterion-referenced, standardized and teacher created interim assessments
· Access to non-profit and community based organizations that provide experimental and field-based activities
· Opportunities to have an impact on our local, national, and global community through service-learning
Core Values: Curiosity, Community, Commitment
Curiosity- we are encouraged to be inquisitive, look, listen, question, critique, and touch our world.
As investigators, TBBS students will:
· Research community issues
· Explore new concepts and ideas with an open mind
Community- we are responsible for joining with classmates, teachers, parents, and neighbors to improve, and have a positive impact on, our local and global environment
As advocates, TBBS students will:
· Engage in service- learning projects connected to curriculum units throughout the year both in our school and
· Meet the specified exit criteria for all subjects including the community service hours and projects
Commitment- we will work hard and have high expectations for our academic, social, and character development
As scholars, TBBS students will:
· Display a commitment to, and a pride in, their work and the work of others
· Begin to research career paths of interest and how they can be used to improve the community